students and parents

MISD students may earn college credit while enrolled in an MISD high school in several different ways.  It’s important to plan early for a course of study that will assure acceptance at a college or university.  High school counselors have many resources that students and parents can use to learn more about college requirements and financial aid.

Listed below are some of the ways students can gain college credit while still in high school:

Advanced Placement (AP) Program

The College Board Advanced Placement Program gives students the opportunity to pursue college-level courses while still in high school.  College credit may be granted by a university based upon Advanced Placement examinations with a score of 3 or higher.  For more information, see the current High School Course Description Guide.

Concurrent Enrollment

  • Concurrent enrollment for college credit provides the opportunity for students to remain in high school and take courses for college credit in the evenings, on the weekend, or during the summer.  These courses generally do not count for high school credit unless special circumstances exist; however, high school credit may also be earned for academic courses taken concurrently and passed if certain criteria are met:

  • The courses are provided by institutions of higher education accredited by SACS CASI, AdvancEd or other recognized regional accrediting associations that are part of the same national organization.

  • The course is part of a Special Program recognized and approved by MISD.

  • The college course should correlate to a Texas state approved course and provide advanced academic instruction beyond or in greater detail than the essential knowledge and skills for the MISD high school course.

  • Each course syllabus has been submitted for review and approval by the Administrative Officer – Curriculum prior to student enrollment.

  • The student must arrange for an official college transcript carrying the final grade to be sent from the college to the high school counselor for evaluation before credit can be awarded and before the course can be added to the student’s academic achievement record. 

For more information, see the current High School Course Description Guide.

Dual Credit

Dual credit courses are courses offered to high school students through an official agreement between Dallas County Community Colleges and MISD. These specific, pre-approved courses meet both district and college guidelines in order to provide credit both in high school and college. No grade points were awarded for courses not taught on the high school campus during the regular school day and specific procedures must be followed. Check the MISD website for the specific courses and procedures.

Tech Prep Articulated Courses

Students may earn college credit through the Tech Prep articulated course program under an agreement with the Dallas County Community College District.  Information is contained in the High School Course Description describing the Tech Prep courses and how college credit can be earned after high school graduation. The Career and Technical Education counselor at the high school campus will also have information.  Students should check with their registrar about specific courses and requirements.

For more information about college credit information, contact the high school counselor or registrar at the campus level, or Dr. Treva Franklin at 972-882-7377, at the district level.


Fall 2016

This list of courses applies to the designated school years only, and it may change according to written agreement between MISD and DCCCD. No grade points are awarded for dual credit courses taken outside the regular school day or during summer at the college campus. The tuition-free courses are only available to students who complete all Dallas County Community College registration and enrollment procedures including testing. If a student must repeat a course to earn credit, there may be a tuition charge. Textbook costs must be paid by the student if the course is taken on the college campus.

To obtain one high school credit for a year-long high school course, both college semester courses must be taken and passed each semester. The student must provide official documentation from the college campus to the high school registrar each semester verifying the grade earned. High school credit may then be awarded and placed on the student’s high school transcript. To remain in the dual credit program and to earn high school credit for a course, a student must earn a college grade no lower than a “C” in the course. English 3 and 4 and U.S. Government will be available for dual credit and may be taken on the high school campus during the school day. 

**Specific academic courses with a grade of “B” or higher earned by the student may be counted as a DAP measure.

Courses that are listed as dual credit may not be available at the Eastfield campus each semester, but they may be taken at another DCCCD campus.  In these situations, the high school student must go through the Dual Credit Coordinator at the campus where the course is offered to complete enrollment. For enrollment applications, contact the Career and Technical Education counselor at each high school during the school year.  During the summer, contact the Dual Credit Coordinator at Eastfield College for applications. The MISD contact is Dr. Treva Franklin at 972-882-7377.


Admission Process

  1. Visit with your high school counselor about eligibility and course selection.

  2. Complete the online DCCCD Application for Admission by going to; click on Current and Future Students.

  3. Complete the Admissions Application for High School Students with all required signatures (parent, counselor, student & principal) and desired courses listed.  Incomplete forms will not be processed.

  4. Complete Consent to Emergency Treatment form.  If under 18, your parent/guardian must complete and sign in blue or black ink.

  5. Request official high school transcript with TAKS, STAAR, ACT or SAT scores.  If college level assessment scores are available (ie.  THEA, Accuplacer, Compass etc.) please include.  Home school transcripts must be notarized.

  6. A student who participates in dual credit courses will be required to submit a copy of his/her immunization record for proof of Bacterial Meningitis vaccination.

  7. Submit complete application packet to high school counselor or Dual Credit contact at your high school or bring to the Dual Credit office (C125).

Students cannot be tested, advised, and registered until the admissions process is complete.