GREAT JOB ART STUDENTS!
- This past weekend MHS art students participated in VASE which is the Visual Arts Scholastic Event. Our school did exceptionally well! All of our art students who participated earned top scores of 3 or 4. Two of our students, Marisol Broussard and Bryon Lloyd, have artwork that is advancing to the state level on April 5. The fabulous art by all of the VASE attendees will be displayed in the display case near the library later this week. Please take a look to admire the incredible talent of our MHS artists!
FRENCH CLUB AND MAVERICKS
The French Club is going to see the Mavericks on the Mavericks' French Club Night on Friday, March 21st. Those in French Club and French Classes need to sign up and bring $22.00 to Mr. Kirkendoll in A18 by the end of the school day on Wednesday. For more info, see Mr. Kirkendoll in A18.
FRENCH CLUB AND MARDI GRAS
The French Club will meet for Mardi Gras on Tuesday March 4th in the Cafeteria at 4:00. Come and get some Kings' Cake and learn about how Mardi Gras is celebrated in other parts of the French-Speaking World.
ATTENTION ALL SKEETERS!!
Student Council is asking you to bring in jars of peanut butter, jelly, and crackers of any kind next week to donate to Sharing Life. Encourage your teachers and fellow students to start a competition as each hall will be collecting a specific item: portables, A, B, and C halls donate peanut butter, K, L, and M halls donate jelly, and E, G, H, S, V, and J halls donate crackers! We will announce which halls are winning throughout the week. Holidays are not the only time families in MISD are in need, so please help out all next week by bringing in your items!
DIGITAL INTERACTIVE MEDIA
- Are you going to be in the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade next year and want to know all about how to use Photoshop, create your own music mix, and make original videos for your own Youtube Channel? Enroll in Digital & Interactive Media for your Technology Education credit next year. DIM is a full year course for students who are serious about learning how to be digitally creative. See Mr. Coursey in room K1 or write registration code 6250 on your enrollment sheet.
ATTENTION ALL FRESHMAN
- Attention Freshman students! The English STAAR test is just around the corner! Tuesday tutoring sessions start next week in A3 and will continue all the way up until the test with an extra session being held that last Wednesday, March 26th! Posters should be posted in your English classrooms telling you which subjects will be covered when. But, they include the SAQ, multiple choice questions, the expository essay, and revising and editing. Snacks will be provided at all sessions. And, the more you come, the more you earn! If you attend three out of the five sessions, you will receive a free slushy from the cafeteria. If you attend all five sessions, you will receive a free jeans pass! Again, that's A3 after schools on Tuesdays!
- Also, if you need help with your writing, visit Mr. Lewis after school in A-17. He is ready to help make writing fun!
jv DRILL TEAM INFO
- Tryouts for next years JV drill will begin on Monday March 3 at 4pm in the small gym through March 5th with the tryouts on Thursday March 6 after school.
WEB TECHNOLOGY-REGISTER FOR THE CLASS TODAY!
All current Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshman, this announcement is for you! Be sure to check your inbox in your Gaggle school email for information about a class called Web Technology that you can sign up to take next year.
- Are you interested in learning how to create web pages? In this class, we will use Notepad for creating the tags and Chrome for browsing our web pages. We will also learn software programs such as Photoshop (images and pictures), Fireworks (animation), and Dreamweaver (web page design)!
You'll get to create your very own personal web site and learn how to publish it on the WWW!
DO YOU WANT TO BE A PAL?
Peer Helpers, better known as PALS, serve as role models and mentors for students at Shaw, Black, Tisinger, Gray, Hanby and Moss Elementary schools. Current 10th and 11th graders interested in applying for next year's PALS class need to pick up an application as soon as possible from the folder outside of K-14.
Do you like to create, design, build websites, meet new people, cover sports and interesting news stories? Are you a social media stalker and like to monitor and update Instagram and Facebook sites? Do you like to create and edit videos for publication? Yearbook and newspaper wants YOU for next year's classes. If you are interested in these skills or you want to advance your skills in one of these fields stop by K6 and see Mrs. Liske for an application.
SENIOR BASH CLASS OF 2014 INFO
- May 10th, 1 a.m. - 7 a.m.
Shenaniganz in Rockwall
Cost: $50 - unlimited bowling, laser tag, Go Karts, mini golf, rock climbing, and a mechanical bull
Payments toward the $50 can be made every Friday during lunch.
AP EXAM REGISTRATION 2014
Click here to download the registration form.
There is still pages and space available for Senior ADs in the 2014 yearbook, deadline has been extended to February 28th. On a budget but want a page, split the cost with a buddy or two. For more information stop by K6 and pick up a form from Mrs. Liske.
Yearbooks are still on sale, get yours today. Prices will go up March 1st. You can still get personalization on your yearbook till February 28th. Need a payment plan, no problem, see Mrs. Liske in K6. Don't pass up the chance to have a copy of your best and worst high school memories. Want to relive prom and graduation 10 years from now?? You can if you purchase a 2014 yearbook. For more information see Mrs. Liske in K6.
COME GET COLLEGE READY!
SENIORS! SENIORS! NOW is the time to complete your college applications. Come to C-14 MONDAYS and TUESDAYS after school 3:45-5:00 and get it done NOW. Additional help on Financial Aid, Scholarships, and NCAA also available. Remember every Monday and Tuesday after school. Come get College Ready!
SENIORS let the counseling office know when you have been accepted to college. We want to put your name on our "Intellectual Highway" outside the counseling office.
KEOM auditions are going on now for the 2014-2015 school year!
Whether you’re interested in a career in broadcast, or looking to expand your knowledge and skills while gaining self-confidence, a school year with KEOM gives you a unique opportunity that high school students rarely attain—the chance to broadcast to thousands of listeners in the 5th largest media market in the U.S. This program has opened many college and professional doors for KEOM students in the areas of broadcast and communications.
Bring your vocal, theatrical, and writing skills to the audition!
Call the radio station between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to schedule a time to tryout. That number is 972-882-7560. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATTENTION AP STUDENTS!!
Mesquite High School is providing an AP savings program. Don't get sticker shock by having to pay for the entire test at one time. Plan ahead and open your savings account today at the ticket booth.
MHS CRIME STOPPERS
WANT TO EARN SOME CASH?
KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT A CRIME?
Report a crime, remain anonymous, and recieve a cash reward!
Just text your tip to 214-695-9489
- NOW YOU CAN TEXT SOMETHING ABOUT IT, AND GET PAID UP TO $100.
- If you need an ID made to ride the bus, check out books, or you just lost yours and need a new one then you can stop by the ticket booth and purchase a new ID for only $3.
- Once you pay you will be given instructions on how to get your ID actually made. Please keep in mind that IDs are only made during the school day and only during certain periods. This info is included in the instructions.
Exciting things are happening in the Swarm Press...go to www.theswarmpress.com to read the latest news on campus and in your community.
The Skeeter library regular hours are 7:45 a.m.- 4:15 p.m. Monday - Friday. This week the library will start extended hours on TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY until 5:00. This is a great time to work on homework, research or group projects. See you there!
Bring Your Own Device Program
- MHS students may now access MISD WiFi on their personal electronic devices - cell phones, tablets, and so on. Click this link, here to learn more about the Bring Your Own Device program at MHS and to review the requirements for participating in this program.
Congratulations to the Boys & Girls Skeeter Bowling Team for advancing to STATE!!!
The Boys finished 2nd in Regionals while the Girls finished 3rd in Regionals. Individual honors go to Mikayla Rodriguez as she will individually compete in STATE in the Girls Bowling Tournament.
The Texas State Bowling Tournament is on March 29th-30th in San Antonio at Bandera Bowl.
Come support your fellow student-athletes in San Antonio!!
- Congratulations to the MHS Girls Bowling Team on finishing 1st & being District Champions. The MHS Boys bowling team took 2nd place in District. Both the Boy’s & Girls’ bowling teams have qualified to compete in team matches at Regionals in Plano.
- Mikayla Rodriguez finished 1st place in district amongst girl bowlers while Anthony Aldrich finished 2nd place in district amongst boys. Both Mikayla Rodriguez & Anthony Aldrich along with Miranda Arnett have qualified for the Singles Competition at Regionals in Plano.
- Please come out & support these student athletes this Sunday, March 2nd, 10am at Plano Super Bowl!
Please congratulate the following students for a job well done at the Crandall UIL Literary Meet this past weekend! The journalism team placed 1st overall at the tournament.
Evin George 5th Number Sense and 1st Persuasive Speaking
Isla Ramirez 5th LD Debate
Dele Faulkner 6th LD Debate
Blake Snearey 5th Prose
Cerin Tomson 3rd Persuasive
Abby Smith 1st News, 2nd Editorial, 3rd Feature, 6th Headline
Anthony Robles 1st Editorial, 2nd Feature, 2nd Headline and 4th News
- The speech and debate team made a clash at the Clash of the Titans’ tournament in Frisco this weekend. Yaa-Kiah Akinsipe, Reba Miller, and Luis Vielma made it to quarter finals in novice Lincoln Douglas debate. Luis taking first place in novice LD. Luis Vielma also placed 4th in Extemporaneous speaking and Reba Miller placed 6th in Extemp. Omodele Faulkner placed second in extemporaneous speaking. Matthew Stell takes third place in Original Oratory. For the finale Evin George takes first place at the comedy hour. Congratulations to the speech and debate team, you make MHS proud.
Congratulations to Keenan Robbins for his second place finish Tuesday in the MISD Winter Open at Keeton Park Golf Course. Also, congratulations to the girls golf team for their first place finish. They were led by Liesia Salazar who won the tournament and Haley Spachholz who finished second. Great job golfers.
Congratulations to the Lady Skeeter track team for scoring 200 pts and placing 1st as a team at the Richardson Relays this past Friday. The following received medals:
Ade Osagiede 2nd 100m, 1st 200m, 2nd High Jump
Adia Vaugh 2nd 400m
Lesley Guevara 3rd 1600m
Brittany Taylor 2nd Discus
Genice Washington 3rd Discus
Schyler Dickerson 3rd 300m Hurdles
Kourtni Russell 1st 300m Hurdles, 1st 100m Hurdles
Abigail Derosier 1st High Jump
Anneka Berryman 3rd 200m
Varsity 4x100 1st (Kourtni Russell, Angel Miles, Schyler Dickerson, Ade Osagiede)
Varsity 4x200 1st (Schyler Dickerson, Adrianna Arnold, Taylor Barnett, Angel Miles)
Varsity 4x400 2nd (Anneka Berryman, Zamonda Davis, Adia Vaughn, Taylor Barnett)
JV 4x200 3rd (Ashleigh Allen, Ravon Dickerson, Debbie Williams, Chad Sanders)
JV 4x400 3rd (Kaylen Brown, Karisme Lucas, Chad Sanders, Khabion Woodfin)
Congratulations to the MHS Boys Soccer Team for reaching the Finals of the Skeeter Cup this past weekend. Came up a little short vs a very good Bryan Adams team. Come out and support the Skeeters as they start District vs Longview this Friday here at Hanby Stadium. Thank you for your support!
The Mesquite Jv boys soccer team took on West Mesquite on Friday. The Skeeters pulled out a 3-2 win over the Wranglers. It was a full team effort. It is going to be an exciting season. Make sure you come out to support. The Mesquite Varsity Boys soccer team competed in the Skeeter cup this weekend. They finished in second place. Congrats to the players for their hard work and determination. The next game will be tomorrow in Allen against the Allen Eagles. JV plays at 5:30 and Varsity at 7. Come out and support you Skeeter Soccer team.
Saturday was a very successful weekend for MHS Business Professionals of America. After competing in Frisco, there are 17 STATE QUALIFIERS who will be competing in Houston at the State competition in March. Please congratulate the following students:
Parliamentary Procedure Team - 1st
Phu Thai, Evin George, Asher George, Cerin Tomson, Merari Chavez, Julian Gonzales, Dele Faulkner
Digital Media Production - 1st
Keyboarding Production - 1st
Extemporaneous Speech - 2nd
Legal Office Procedures - 3rd
Fundamentals of Web Design - 3rd
Advanced Accounting - 4th
Advanced Word Processing - 4th
Integrated Office Applications - 4th
Fundamental Spreadsheet - 4th
Fundamental Desktop Publishing - 4th
Another great weekend for the Lady Skeeters soccer program. The varsity girls notched a 1-0 win over R.L. Turner High School, a 4-0 victory over Carrollton Newman Smith High School, and a hard fought 1-0 loss to state power McKinney North High School. Goals this weekend were scored by Nadine Jaimes, Dez Olvera, Breanna Martinez, and 2 by Jessica Guiterrez.
- The junior varsity girls competed in the MHS tournament bringing home the 2nd place trophy. The Lady Skeeters won their bracket by getting 2 wins against 1 loss in round robin play. That advanced the girls to the championship game ultimately losing to Highland Park in a well played match. Registering goals this weekend were Courtnei Holloway, Brittany Perez, Maya Padilla, Brianna Olvera, and Maddie Nivens.
- Both teams play Poteet this Tuesday night at Memorial. JV kicks at 5:30 and varsity at 7:15.
The Skeeter Orienteering team competed in the Dallas City Championships on Saturday and did very well. Hunter Rascon placed 2nd, Mark Barba took 3rd, Keyshawn China and Anthony Veiza both placed 5th, and Avery Jones placed 8th. Be sure to congratulate them!
The boys’ basketball teams played exciting games last night against the Longview Lobos at Longview High School. The freshman A team controlled the game from start to finish to earn a 62-35 victory. The JV was down 14 points in the 3rd quarter and finished the game on a 41-15 run to down the Lobos 60-44. In the night cap the Skeeters varsity showed true character and determination to escape with a 51-49 win in a tough environment. The varsity Skeeters district record now stands at 5-0. The coaches would like to thank the players for their hard work.
We’re sending a huge Singing Skeeter Shout Out to freshman Nathan Gepanaga, who advanced in last night’s Pre-Area audition. Nathan has made it to the final audition for All State Choir, which is held January 11. If you see Nathan this week, please congratulate him! This is a huge accomplishment for ANY student. Only five students from Mesquite ISD earned this honor.
- The UIL Academics Team competed in a practice meet in Mansfield on Saturday. Please congratulate the following students for a job well done. The Journalism Team placed 2nd overall at the practice meet. Great job to all journalism team members. Individual awards are as follows:
- Brenda Lara placed 2nd in Headline Writing, 4th in Feature Writing, and 5th in News Writing.
- Anthony Robles placed 2nd in News Writing, 3rd in Editorial Writing, and 6th in Headline Writing.
- Robert Parris 4th place Accounting
Robert Parris, Kelsey Armand, and Richelle Osay 4th place Accounting Team
- Lesley Lugo Infante's 1st Place winning mannequin at the ITS Education Forum
- She is a MHS Junior and won $250 cash, trophy, and a gift bag. Great job Lesley!
This past Saturday, the Skeeter XC team ran in Tyler at the District 12-5A meet. They represented Mesquite High School very well.
- Varsity Girl's Team 4th overall and just missed qualifying for Regionals. (Martina Cervantes, Senior; Karen Perez, Freshman; Blanca Aguilar, Senior; Adia Vaughn, Freshman; Lidia Roque, Senior; Nataly Gaytan, Junior; and Alondra Zuniga, Senior). All ran personal bests.
- Varsity Boy's Team 2nd Place Team and qualified for Regionals this Saturday in Grand Prairie. (3rd Overall Eric Villagrana, Sophomore; Raul Sanchez, Freshman; Joaquin Tinoco, Senior; Alfonso Hernandez, Senior; Celso Ramirez, Freshman; Jesus Salazar, Senior; and Marco Morales, Senior). The 3 alternates for the Regional team which are moved up from the JV are (Daniel Arroyo, Austin Cuevas, and Luis Flores).
- Junior Varsity Girl's Team 2nd overall (1st Place Alex Martinez, Sophomore; 5th Place Sarah Sanchez, Senior; Samantha Pacheco, Junior; Jessica Gutierrez, Sophomore; Isabel Pena, Freshman; Leslie Salinas, Junior; Esmeralda Cervantes, Sophomore; Breanna Martinez, Senior; Sarahi Osorio, Senior; Ruth Lopez, Junior; Stephanie Beltran, Senior; and Denise Beltran, Sophomore) All ran personal bests.
- Junior Varsity Boy's Team 2nd overall (2nd Place Daniel Arroyo, Junior; 3rd Place Austin Cuevas, Freshman; 4th Place Luis Flores, Sophomore; Pedro Secundino, Senior; Roberto Roque, Freshman; Francisco Pacheco, Sophomore; Cesar Rangel, Freshman; Mario Hernandez, Freshman; Davis Abraham, Senior; Adrian Flores, Freshman; Jose Alvarez, Junior; and Eduardo Salinas, Senior.
- They have worked very hard this season and have accomplished great things. I am proud of them and all their accomplishments. If you see one of the Varsity Boys, wish them good luck this coming weekend as they run at the Regional meet.
Congratulations to Robert Parris who placed 8th and Kelsey Armand who placed 10th in the UIL Academic Virtual Challenge Meet for the Accounting contest. Awesome job!
- This week was a good week for the Skeeter golf teams. On Monday Freshman golfer Annaleisia Salazar finished in the top ten in the North Forney tournament at Firewheel Golf Park.
- On Wednesday the boys team had three golfers finish in the top ten, Colby Martin finished 7th, Keenan Robbins took 3rd and Joe Romero won the tournament shooting a 79 at Twin Lakes Golf Course.
- We take great pride in announcing the Mesquite High School JROTC Drill Team won FIRST PLACE overall at the Denton Drill Meet! A first in MHS JROTC Drill Team history to win First Place Grand Champion!
- Click here for more details!
- Skeeter seniors Brenda Lara, Luisangel Andrade, and Alejandro De Lira were named by the College Board as recipients of the 2013-14 National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) Scholar or Honorable Mention. They earned this honor based on their PSAT/MNSQT scores and were chosen as one of about 5,300 students out of a pool of over 259,000 students!
- Congratulations to Brenda Lara and Luisangel Andrade on this top honor from the NHRP!
For parents who want to stay up-to-date with happenings at MHS sign up now for announcements, reminders, and more from Mrs. Starrett!
Girls Soccer | Boys Soccer | Tennis
Softball | Baseball
Girls Basketball | Boys Basketball
Decathlon Team - ACDEC
Business Professionals of America - BPA
Drill Team - All Stars
I Am Second
National Honor Society
National Spanish Honor Society
Newspaper - Swarm
Technology Students Association - TSA
Theatre - On the Spot