About Shands Elementary

 

 

 

The Shands Mission Statement

To:

fully educate the students of Shands Elementary...

In such a way that...

  • Our students are successful on state and local assessments and are academically prepared for success in middle and high school;
  • Prepares our students to be successful in the social and emotional realms of life;
  • Provides our students with multiple avenues to discover and exercise their abilities and interests;

So that...

our children have choices in how they will spend the rest of their lives and are strongly influenced to impact their world in a positive way.

 

Please email us with any comments, concerns or questions.

 

About our Namesake, Elsie Holley Shands

Elsie Holley Shands

Mrs. Elsie Holley Shands was born in Mesquite, Texas on July 13, 1892. She was the daughter of N.A. Holley and Adell Humphreys Holley, pioneers of the Mesquite area. Her father, N.A. Holley, along with his two sons, Raymond and Anson, was in the grocery business in Mesquite for forty years, starting in that business on the lot where the present First National Bank is located.

Her father, N.A. Holley, coming to Texas from Tennessee with very little money, was determined to make his fortune. A keen mind and an alertness when an opportunity presented itself earned N.A. Holley the respect of all who knew him. Industrious by nature, his efforts were rewarded by his becoming owner of several large farms, city real estate, a number of Mesquite business houses, and stock in the First National Bank of Mesquite and the Mesquite Building and Loan Association. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Mesquite Independent School District for a number of years.

After her graduation from Mesquite High School in 1910, Elsie Holley helped whenever she was needed in her father’s store. She also busied herself with needlework and, of course, social activities in which young girls find themselves involved.

In 1913, a young man came to Mesquite to establish the first electric light plant in Mesquite. He was Ninus Eugene Shands, Jr., son of Dr. and Mrs. N.E. Shands of San Marcos, Texas. He had attended Southwestern University in Georgetown where he had majored in electrical engineering. As fate would have it, the first house that was to be converted to electricity in Mesquite, was that of N.A. Holley.

Upon his first inspection trip to the home of the Holley’s, he met Miss Elsie Holley. Their courtship spanned the next few years while he operated the light plant in Mesquite. Then in 1916 he sold the plant to Texas Power and Light Company, and entered the army during World War I. He was sent overseas where he served in the Corps of Engineers in France and Germany.

During the war years, Elsie Holley did her part for the war effort by helping to organize and direct the work of the Red Cross in Mesquite.

After returning to the states following the war, Ninus Shands attended business school where he studied banking and law. In 1919, he accepted a position as assistant cashier of the Cleveland National Bank in Cleveland, Texas. Ninus Shands and Miss Elsie Holley were married in a ceremony at the home of her parents on August 17, 1921. They resided in Cleveland, Texas until January, 1923, when he resigned to become cashier of the First National of Mesquite. He became executive vice-president in 1930, president in 1932, and board chairman in 1960, which he held at the time of his death in July, 1974.
Mr. and Mrs. N.E. Shands were always interested in every worthwhile community endeavor in Mesquite and the surrounding areas. Ninus Shands served on the city council from 1931 to 1941. He was mayor of Mesquite from 1941 to 1947. He was president of the Mesquite Chamber of Commerce, director of the North Texas Municipal Water District, helped to organize and served as vice-president and director of the Mesquite Savings and Loan Association. He also served many years as treasurer and chairman of the Board of Trustees of the First Methodist Church in Mesquite.

Elsie Shands helped to organize the Mesquite Woman’s Club in 1938. She served as their first president and was active in the organization until her death in 1959. She was a member of the First Methodist Church where she served as president of the Woman’s Society of Christian Service. She was also a member of the Parent-Teachers Association and loyal supporter of the school and its program.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Mesquite Independent School District. All rights reserved.