Temporary Virtual Option (TVO)
Registration for TVO is Closed.
Watch the video for registration instructions.
To view this video with captions click here.
Mesquite ISD will offer a temporary virtual option (TVO) to students enrolled in kindergarten through 6th grade, ages 5 to 11, as of Aug. 30, 2021.
Due to staffing limitations, this option will be parent led; students will not have a teacher assigned to them. Students must have an adult at home who will serve as a home learning coach.
The district chose to make this option available due to overwhelming requests from our families; however, parents should give careful consideration to their child’s educational needs.
For most students, this option is not recommended.
Things to Know About TVO
- Registration for TVO will open Aug. 24 and close Aug. 26. Students must be registered for TVO no later than Aug. 26. This deadline is firm.
- Instruction via independent lessons will begin Monday, Aug. 30, and continue through the first grading period, which ends Oct. 8. The initial less on Aug. 30 will be an orientation session for parents and students.
- Students may not move back and forth from virtual to face-to-face instruction.
- Students may return to face-to-face instruction at any time, but they may not return to TVO once they leave that setting.
- No grades will be recorded.
- Special services (such as special education, dyslexia, etc.) will not be provided.
- At the end of the first grading period, MISD will evaluate the possibility of extending the TVO, if necessary.
- Parents who serve as the home learning coach are responsible to guide and support their student’s day-to-day activities, schedules and homework.
- Students must have reliable internet service for online daily access. Hotspots can be checked out by contacting the home campus.
Q&A about TVO
- When and how can I register my child for TVO?
- Why is TVO parent led? Why can’t the district offer VLA like last year?
- What kind of instruction will MISD provide for TVO students?
- Why doesn’t MISD recommend TVO?
- Why is TVO limited to students in kindergarten to 6th grade, ages 5-11?
- I work during the day. How can I support my child’s learning in TVO?
- Will Mesquite ISD receive funding for students who choose TVO?
- Why will TVO students not receive grades?
- How will the lack of grades affect a student’s ability to be promoted to the next grade level?
- Will there be any support from the district if students or parents have questions about the online lessons?
- Will MISD provide technical support if we have trouble with Google Classroom, Seesaw or our device?
- Why aren’t special services, such as special education, dyslexia services, etc., not available in TVO?
- What will parents of TVO students be expected to do?
- If my child does not do well in TVO or if I change my mind, can he or she switch back to face-to-face instruction?
- Will the district provide meals for TVO students?