2023-24 Calendar Features & FAQs
View 2023-24 District Calendar in English. Próximamente se publicará una traducción al español del borrador del calendario.
Administration will present the 2023-24 Draft Calendar to the Board of Trustees for approval on Monday, March 6, during the regularly scheduled Board meeting. The following are some features of the proposed school calendar. Note that some minor adjustments to the calendar may be necessary following Board approval.
Important Dates for Campus Personnel:
- Teachers return Monday, July 31.
- New Hire Camp is July 24-27.
- Campus 187-day paraprofessionals return July 24 to assist with new teachers and campus enrollment.
- The first day of school is Aug. 7.
In addition to the traditional calendar holidays, the draft calendar features the following:
- 5-day Fall Break in October
- 11-day Winter Break for staff; 12-day Winter Break for students
- 4-day weekend in February
- 5-day Spring Break in March
- 4-day weekend in April
Mesquite ISD will extend the school day by 15 minutes to accommodate additional breaks during the school year and the desire to finish the school year before Memorial Day.
Special Provisions 187-Day Professional Campus Employees
- 187-day professional employees have 182 scheduled workdays on the school calendar.
- Despite being scheduled to work five fewer days than in previous years, for the 23-24 school year, Mesquite ISD will credit these employees for working five additional days to honor the work we know is done outside of regular contract hours. In other words, the district will pay 187-day professional employees for 187 days even though they are scheduled to work only 182 days.
- Some examples of work completed outside contract hours may include annual online SOP training, classroom set-up, lesson planning, etc.
Professional Learning/PLC Planning for Campus Personnel:
- 1 Professional Learning/PLC Planning Day scheduled per month (except October)
- Each PL/PLC Planning Day will include no more than ½ day of district or campus PL time; the remaining time on those days will be reserved for PLC planning time.
2023-24 Draft Calendar FAQs
- Why did the district add 15 minutes to the school day?
- How does the length of Mesquite ISD’s school day compare to other districts in the area?
- What are the school start and end times for 2023-24?
- What will teacher work hours be for the 2023-24 school year?
- Why do 187-day campus paraprofessionals have to report to work a week before teachers?
- Why aren’t weather make-up days included in the calendar?