This page contains information about requirements and hiring as well as general information for all Mesquite ISD Substitutes.
Substitutes are needed for several positions on our campuses - including clerical, instructional assistants and classroom teachers. Substitute Teacher and Substitute Instructional Assistant applications are online and can be accessed from this page or from Mesquite ISD’s main web page under Employment.
Requirements to be a Classroom Substitute
- Substitute Instructional Assistant/ Clerical
This position requires a high school diploma or GED.
- Substitute Teacher
This position requires a minimum of 60 standard, accredited college hours. If you have a bachelor’s degree or State Certification you will receive a higher daily rate of pay.
Steps to Apply
- Click the Apply button next to a Substitute position in Job Listings.
- After your information is complete, you will receive a confirmation email, and your information will be saved, allowing you to return at any time to submit additional applications and to update your information on file.
- In order for your application to process quickly, please be sure that your references know to expect an emailed reference form from Mesquite ISD and to check their junk/spam folder for it. In addition, be sure to upload your transcripts if applying for substitute teacher or proof of high school graduation/GED if applying for substitute instructional assistant/clerical.
- You will be contacted in a few days about what may be needed to move your application forward to fingerprinting.
All district employees including substitutes are required to be fingerprinted by Texas state law to be allowed to work in a public school. The 80th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 9 (SB 9), which mandated the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to acquire criminal history through fingerprint submission. This process requires the individual to hold a state-issued driver’s license or state-issued ID card. The cost for fingerprinting is just under $50. The district will not reimburse applicants for fingerprinting expenses.
Previous fingerprinting that you may have completed for a real estate license, nursing license or day care will not be accepted by the state education governing board TEA. If you are certified to teach in the state of Texas and have been digitally fingerprinted for certifications purposes, we should be able to acquire the results quickly.
If you are recommended for hire as a substitute, and you have not been fingerprinted through TEA, you will receive an email with a location code if you wish to fingerprint at the Mesquite ISD facility This email will explain about the email you will receive to set up your fingerprint appointment, as well.